Beauty Spotlight: Turmeric
What comes to mind when you hear “turmeric”?
Some think of a spice used in many Indian and Moroccan recipes, others may have noticed the exclusive new Turmeric Latte on the Starbucks menu, while most have never heard of it. If you fall into the latter category, you’re one of many, and you’re in luck, because we are about to blow your mind!
Turmeric is a striking yellow-mustard colored root from which one of the most versatile and powerful spices is derived. Deeply-embedded in South Asian culture, turmeric is primarily used in cooking (e.g., curries) as it adds a gratifyingly tasty flavor.
Well… a LOT. What makes this golden root so unique is its secret weapon: curcumin, which is a naturally occurring chemical compound that possesses powerful antioxidant properties. Turmeric is also one of the best natural treatments for arthritis. You can add turmeric to just about anything to create magic. Literally.
- Balances cholesterol
- Boosts brain function
- Improve blood circulation (extremely calming and balancing for skin!)
- Irritation caused by skin conditions (e.g., eczema, psoriasis)
- Helps with scarring (think: acne or cuts)
- Evens skin tone by reducing blemishes and hyperpigmentation
- Protects against UV radiation damage
How to integrate turmeric into your everyday life:
While we love using turmeric on our skin, we’ve found that if not proactively managed, it can stain and temporarily make you appear yellow (yikes!). So, we made it easier for you to harness all the benefits without the mustard colored evidence via our Glow Activating Exfoliator.
Organic turmeric is the key ingredient in this dual-purpose mask and cleanser, and it will not stain (phew!). Fantastic for even sensitive skin, this exfoliator actively combats impurities while soothing, evening, and refining. It’ll help with dryness, scarring, and make you glow from the inside out 😊
For a deep cleanse, use as a mask 2-3 times per week; spread a generous layer evenly on your face and leave on for 5-10 minutes. Remove with a warm, wet washcloth and rinse thoroughly with cold water to close and tighten those pores! For everyday use, apply as a cleanser; gently moisten your face with warm water and apply a thin layer evenly on your face using circular motions. Rinse thoroughly. We recommend following with our Balance Restoring Serum to gently lift the toxins that the exfoliator surfaced.
- On low heat, combine water, 1 tsp turmeric plus ginger and / or cinnamon
- Bring to a simmer then pour in 1 cup of milk (our personal favorites are nut milks like almond and coconut)
- Grab a tea bag of your choice (black tea goes phenom with this) and add into the hot liquid mixture until the milk is steaming
- Use a spoon to taste; add some honey if you like it sweet
- Pour the mixture into a cup using a strainer; drink immediately, and glow soon 😉
Add a pinch of turmeric in scrambled eggs for a subtle flavor. Toss it with roasted veggies. Add a teaspoon to liven up any vegetable or chicken soup. Blend it into a smoothie. Or, use it the traditional way and add it to your next curry.
As you can probably tell by now, the possibilities are truly endless! We encourage you to try out turmeric however it best fits into your lifestyle and take notice of how much better you will look and feel.
Let us know how you tried adding turmeric to your life in the comments below or message us at email@example.com – we can’t wait to hear from you!